Saturday, March 26, 2011

Dancing Days are Here Again

During my years as a teenager and up into my late 20's, I didn't have many overwhelming concerns.  Even though I lived on my own and had a job, life was very simple.  My world was a mix of sunshine, parties and following my heart.  I still abide by this same philosophy minus a few parties, along with a sense of grown-up stress I never had before.  Of course I didn't have 3 children to love, and a house I was responsible for, things were very different.   Why is it for many adults, including myself, do we allow ourselves to become completely over burdened by our worries.  I wonder if there is a way to walk thru life, caring and responsible, yet light hearted and free.  I never used to be troubled about things the way I am now.  I find myself reaching for balance, desiring more moments of peace and joy, and less of anxiety and fear.  
Recently, I discovered a picture of myself back in the day, barefoot and laughing, dancing on the beach.  I remember the easy spirited way I used to be, always carefree and vibrant.   Slowly, I am releasing the weight of the world off my shoulders, doing my best to reclaim this lost self of mine, mixing it back in with who I have become.  Embracing and letting go has become my newest philosophy.
There are some happenings in life never to be fully accepted or understood.  I think about a very beautiful young woman I knew for many years, who recently passed away.  Riding on the back of her boyfriend's motorcycle she was hit by a car and killed instantly.  How people endure tragedies and move forward, step by tiny step is a miracle in itself.   Everybody has their own stories of sorrow, becoming part of who we are, never to be the same or forgotten.
Sometimes by studying an older person face, you can see the way time has permanently etched the passing of years.   Easily discerned are the history of days shown for all to see by the depth and direction of every line and crevice.  Contemplative worries, mouths more used to smiles or turned down by frowns.  Our eyes, windows of our soul, show the steps of paths taken, shadowed by sadness and beauty.  No longer easy to hide who you are, or where you have been, the masks we use becoming fragile, thinned out over the space of seasons and not as flexible.  What will my face show when I am an elder, will people see beneath my lines and shadows, knowing also the beauty of my days.
 I hope so.
 I am not discounting the reality of difficulties.  It's what we do with everything which has become my center of attraction.  I know for many life can seem to move from one struggle to the next, finances, health and relationships can be a source of hardship.  I have come to realize the beliefs we choose to follow, and how we either accept or change our destiny is in our own hands.  We all are given the gift of free-will by our Creator.  Ultimately despite outward appearances and wherever we may dwell, how we choose to live from our hearts and actions are our sole responsibility.   
I am tired living as if I must be emotionally prepared for anything that comes my way.  Often I feel like a rabbit running across an open field, my every senses attuned to the possible dangers.  I miss who I used to be.  I choose to believe my loved ones are safe, all is good, trusting by faith in my blessings.  If life becomes difficult or a situation arises, then hopefully I will face it with as much grace and dignity as possible.
 In between rare moments of genuine concerns
I make a new promise to myself.
< To keep my mind and spirit in a place >
of lightness and joy as often as I can
< spinning gracefully in laughter and beauty, >
 Free once again to dance
< on the sandy beaches of my days. >
In the power of embracing and letting go,
I Pray this Blessing for All.
May you Dance in Beauty my Friends
~ In Peace, Raven ~