Sunday, March 20, 2011

Power of Prayer <> GRRRRRR

It is only 7 a.m,  I went to sleep at 3 this morning.  Today is the first day of spring.  I welcomed it in last night underneath the brightness of a super full moon, a "parigee", a rare and beautiful occurrence where the moon actually appears bigger and brighter than normal.  I had left yesterday for a powwow with my children with no intentions or thoughts to the evening ahead.  Wanting to be somewhat on time, we departed in a swirl of haste with my scolding ringing in all of our ears about the dawdling being done.  I try to be a patient mother, but alas, I am not always successful.   
I enjoyed seeing my friends, life was proceeding at its normal and usual pace, all was well.  Until, that is, an elder, a healer, walked up to me and very calmly stated I needed to do some seriously needed prayer for my children.  Everything inside me stopped, including my heart and my breathing.  Was there anything wrong in my family he asked, are they well?  My whole being fell into a whirlwind, a tailspin of fear filled my soul.  A part of me managed to step quietly aside and watch as if from afar, grasping to find meaning to what was being said.  I trusted this man, I knew his family and close friends.  I had been invited earlier this day, before the mayhem of my soul, to participate in a sweat lodge ceremony.  Though I had agreed to consider the invitation, in no way was I physically or mentally prepared.  My plans were to go home and relax.  I knew my children would not be interested, I wasn't even going to ask, getting to the powwow itself had been tiresome enough.  All these thoughts flashed rapidly through my brain as I stood out there in the hall processing the possible truth of his words.   I understood I was standing on the edge of a cliff, I could choose to totally dismiss all that was being implied, or I could fall to me knees in a panic.  I chose neither, I waited.  Going to a ceremony out of fear was not going to work for me.  Prayer is never wasted energy, especially when it came to my children.  If I was to take this walk I would do so out of Love.  Quietly I took my children aside, Deven 14, Kai 12, and my daughter Tiana 9.  Briefly I told them it had been suggested we go to a ceremony because our family needed prayer, they didn't have to participate, but would they like to go.  "Sure," they all agreed, "Long as you feed us first, we're starving and unless we eat we are going to need more than prayer to survive."  I laughed at their silliness, fed them, and found myself following my friends on a surprise journey.  
"Nothing in the World, is Stronger than the Prayers of a Mother, where there is fear, there is no Faith."  This had been told to me by the elder before leaving.  These words became my mantra, my focus, my empowerment.  No longer caring about warnings or possibilities.  I immediately turned into a mother grizzly bear, nothing was going to stand in between me and my babies.  Before I knew it, not only was I sitting in the lodge along with my 2 boys across from me, my daughter was waiting outside for her duties as the designated door keeper.  My children had never participated in a sweat lodge ceremony, and it had been about 5 years since I had.  I worried for them in the intense heat, especially my youngest Kai.  Heat and him did not usually go well together.  My eldest son Deven, shielded his brother all his life, it was their way.  Nothing could be done to protect the other from the heat, each on our own, our only protection was the strength of our spirit, and our prayers.  I let my concerns go, and pray I did.  "Healing and protection for my children," over and over, in every way, shape or form, I could say it, feel it, breathe it.  Without thought, without fear, I roared these words to the Universe.... respectfully of course.  After each round I would immediately look across the burning mist covered stones to find my boys, upright and strong, side by side, each powerful in their essence.  My daughter, as young as she is, mature beyond her years, able to handle her duties with a grace and beauty I will always remember. 
We left late, wanting to be home cozy in our beds.  I drove over 2 hours, quietly talking to my babies, reflecting on our journey.  None of us will ever be the same, in a good way.  Personally tested in our hearts, and finding a deeper Spiritual connection then we had ever known.  Whatever path we had been on yesterday morning, my children and I are now on a new one, decided upon by the
Power of Prayer 
"Healing and Protection Surrounds us, and I am Grateful."  
My gift last night was adding to my new belief, the word, "Family."
 "For Nothing is Stronger in the World than the Prayers of a United and Love filled Family."
  Last night my children and I were Blessed under the Brightness and Beauty of a rare full moon, 
what could be more Magical than this.  
In Faith and Healing My Friends,
~Raven~