Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Hope Springs Eternal

Growing up in San Diego, California I hardly noticed the change of seasons.   Endless days of melting sunshine and blue skies were all I ever knew.  Granted I had my mind on other things, weather barely made a difference to how I spent my days.  The only time I truly experienced fall was when we drove up to the   mountains in Julian only 2 hours away, where we would feast on apple pies, and enjoy the  crispness of cold autumn air against our sun drenched skin.   People often ask why I left the West coast to live here on the East, and though I do miss the beaches, I have to say, experiencing the seasons is what I like the best.   Living in New England for the past 20 years has attuned me to the rhythm of life in a way I had never understood before.  Learning to accept each season for its unique charm creates harmony between us and our connection to the natural world.  Being a part of the changing circle of creation, forces us out of our everydayness into something flowing and alive.  Just when we have reached our limit of cold winter days, the warm tendrils of Spring make their way across the land into our hearts, whispering softly of its promised arrival.  Like the finest of connoisseurs, I can feel it coming from miles away.  
 Waking up from our long slumber, sisters and brothers to the trees, bodies stretching up towards the sun, we arrive, rejoicing in our eternal story.  Experiencing both moments of hardship and joy, brought to us on the wings of each new season, strengthens our resolve to live fully and with gratitude.  Knowing underneath this soon to be slushy muddiness, are the miraculous stirrings of new beginnings, wonders never ceasing.  The end of winter echoes a time of letting go, and embracing the balance of prosperity.  Celebrating the gifts of Mother Earth, thawing out any lingering shadows held far too long, reminding our hearts to reach out in Love and Forgiveness.  The symphony of birds outside my window every morning sing to me of dreams created during long winter nights.  Heralding its arrival, robins sent out as tiny ambassadors announce the hopefulness of a new day.
Every season different, from beginning to end, 
renews our Spirit, offering us each a chance to heal and adjust our path.  
Though the days of time move in a continuous circle, 
our footsteps, if we desire, never having to be the same. 
May You Walk In Beauty My Friends, 
In Peace, Raven