Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Life as a Single Mother or the Joy of Basket Weaving

I love my life being single.  Although there are many times when I am challenged by certain trials, and can feel alone in my struggles, mostly I am at peace and believe us to be blessed.  My heart is filled with gratitude for the beauty of our togetherness.   I have 3 wonderful children whom I home school, we are very happy.  The days and nights flow in and out of each other, all is harmonious, life is good.  Financially we are able to live in a small cozy house on a lake, eat organic foods, travel around New England and enjoy a few special treasures here and there.  I work part time and am able to spend the majority of hours with my children freely exploring and following our hearts.  In the beginning of my singleness we were, I realized, very isolated.  In the coming years I have been able to expand our world one person at a time, creating many close relationships.  My family and I are now an important part of a community where we are welcomed and enjoyed.  I continue to be open to making connections with others as we journey through our life.

This weekend we attended a primitive skills gathering and I was lucky enough to arrive on time to join a few other artsy women in learning how to make a basket made of Ash.  Even though we were all given the same amount of materials no two baskets were alike.  In my mind's eye I had this vision of what my basket would look like...the shape and size it would be, how it would feel in my hands... but as the hours flew by my basket began to take on a life of its own.   At first I was not happy with the rectangular shape it appeared to be evolving into, it was bigger and wider than I had first imagined.  My fingers ached along with my back as I sat there weaving the pieces in and out.  Several times I was helped by others, including the expert basket weaver himself as many of the steps were complicated and my fingers not strong enough.  I had to ask a kind friend of mine to help make the rim from a sapling we had cut down nearby.   This step alone took several sharp tools and quite a bit of time as he carefully cut it to the thickness and length I needed.  I had no idea the many hours it would take to finish this work of art.  It was not until the next day as everybody was packing up to leave did I finally have my completed masterpiece in hand.  Laughter, love, kindness, patience and determination were definitely part of its design.  In the end my basket was a somewhat unique roundish rectangular shape, just the right size for my treasures.  Although it had several imperfect areas if you cared to look, I was very pleased with how it turned out,  I wouldn't have changed a thing about it and was amazed I was able to create such a lovely basket.  Every time I look at it I am reminded that although I made it by myself, from beginning to end were many other hands besides mine in its creation.  To me this is its ultimate beauty, mirroring the texture of my walk through life.  My basket reminds me I can relax and allow myself to be woven into the being of grace I am meant to be, with the love and support of those around me.  Being single, simply means I am not alone.
In Creative Beauty
~Raven