Saturday, September 18, 2010

Breathing In or Lovely River Boulders

The art of mindfulness for me is something I strive for at all times.  Of course I have to remember this goal of mine TO BE mindful for it to be of benefit.  Being in the moment ~ Breathing in the moment ~ seems to be so easy, but the reality is not always so.  Especially when that moment is not your ideal, or seems to be filled with a multitude of happenings like earlier today for instance.  Right now I am laying in bed with my leg propped up and my foot covered with ice, hoping I did not do any permanent damage to its intricate and delicate bone structure,  caused by the large and very heavy boulder I mistakenly dropped upon it.  I was rearranging the habitat for my bearded dragons (even they must have a cozy home)..... talking with my children... balancing sticks, water dishes and yes boulders... thinking ahead to who knows what... when quite suddenly I was brought immediately back to the present moment when my poor bare foot was crushed by an exceptionally large but lovely river boulder (anything that can't be picked up with one hand is not a rock in case you were wondering).  So now here I am definitely in the moment.  Soft cozy bed, muted sounds of laughing children, barking dogs in the distance (hopefully not mine) and a very sore but numb right foot.  I would like to think I have learned from this momentous occasion, and I am now one step closer to living a more conscious and blissfully aware life. To being mindful of the beauty and sacredness of every moment, to slowing down and directing my energy in a clear and more thoughtful way.  Perhaps next time I find myself in a similar situation...and believe me they are daily... I will remember to make the  peaceful and safer choice of Breathing in the moment, and this way I won't be in any more danger from large but lovely river boulders.  Either that or I should start wearing armor.