Monday, September 27, 2010

Past and Present Rain

I love the sounds of rain and always have.  When I lived in California some of my favorite days to go to the beach were on cloudy drizzly ones.  There is something calming and life affirming about being in rain.  Most people remained inside on those days, making the beach a solitary retreat, infinite in its space....just myself, a few spirited adventurers and the gulls. 
I remember even further back when I was at 6th grade camp.  One of the biggest events of the week was when they took you on a full day hike.  Finally the morning arrived for my group and it was pouring outside.  I was shocked when the counselors insisted we were still going.  Our camp leader suited us up in weather gear and out the door we went.  Lucky for me he loved the rain and by the time we returned back to the warmth and dryness of our cabins I was a convert.  I will never forget seeing the woods thru the magic and mystery of splashing water.
Years ago, before blessed with children, I found a German Shepherd somebody abandoned at the reservoir by taking off his collar, leaving him to fend for himself.  I guess they didn't want him anymore, but I sure did.  Immediately inseparable, it was love at first sight.  I took him to the park one early morning and we ran the length of it back and forth in a great downpour, a wild and free moment I will always cherish. We had many fine times together, I named him Wolf Rain Crowfeather.   
These last 4 years of being on my own I have to admit have been all about survival and healing.  Numerous good times were enjoyed, life long friendships established and beautiful memories created.  Nonetheless most of my days were colored by financial worries, keeping my children and I warm, and inevitable homeowner woes.  Within a few short months of being single I began to notice what looked like pieces of roof in my front yard.  "Hmmmmm....maybe that's normal." I would mutter under my breath..."I am sure its no big deal....whats a few tiles here and there,"....this imaginary world I lived in regarding my dying roof helped me thru a few long winters.  However once spring arrived I would have to face the fact much of my roof was on the ground.  Additionally alarming, roofing contractors would stop by unannounced shaking their heads in dismay at its obvious demise.  The sounds of nature soon became a source of stress to me as I hoped and prayed the raindrops I saw slowing accumulating and sliding down my ceiling were a mere illusion.  Warnings of rotting beams and unseen damage concerned me greatly thru the gentle pitter patter.  Cleansing winds also became a natural predator to my peace of mind.  The joy of a stormy day was an imagined dream I once knew, replaced by the ancient code of struggle and survival. 
Finally this spring I was able to get a home loan covering the cost of half my roof, the worse side, and the water heater that had suddenly passed on.  Now my children and I are secure, drip free and enjoying the luxury of hot water.  I realize there will be other financial issues, but for now all is well.  I've since made my apologies to the world of nature.  Rain and I are once again reunited.  I am slowly learning how to walk softly on our earth, day by day on this path of mine.  Accepting times of flying shingles, and remembering the Joy of Running without Care in the Thunderous and Magical Rain.
In All Kinds of Weather
~Raven