Thursday, September 23, 2010

Dragons or Why I Homeschool

     Many people question why I homeschool my 3 children.  I have learned to give some very easy and standard answers in reply.  The reality is there were many reasons why I made this choice, and I continue to add to them on a regular basis.  However my main motivation then and now, was based on one crucial and highly important belief I do not often share with others besides my children.  The truth is.....
"I Believe in Dragons and all they Represent." 
      Being creatures of the natural and mystical world they can be found almost anywhere there are trees, rocks or water.  Although there have been unique sightings along back roads and highways of a rare few, quietly resting deep within the shadows of a bridge or an underpass, they are not often seen.  Naturally most are not easy to find as they are meant to be hidden from us mere mortals.  If you pretend not to look too closely and slightly tilt your head just a little to one side, you may be lucky to spot the glint of an eye, the top of a scaley wing (not all have wings), or perhaps even the tip of a long pointed tail.  
From a very young age my children and I have peered out the windows of our car as we traveled all over New England spotting glimpses of these magical creatures. " I see one," my son would yell, "Over there behind the tree!"   The general rule is that a dragon will show itself only to a certain person so no matter how hard one looked, we were unable to see each others dragon.  Dragon finding is a very powerful and personal gift and should not be taken lightly.  I knew if I put my children in school there was a high probability their creative
talent and ability to spot these magnificent creatures might be lost.  This was too much of a price to pay.  Please know I am not critiquing those who have children in the school system, nor am I against public education.  Everybody has their own beliefs and makes choices accordingly.  For myself this is what I have found works best for my family.  
Dragons are available to be seen by everybody.  You just have to be open to the reality of their existence.  They are here ready and willing to bestow upon us the miracle and magical essence of their being.  For as soon as you have caught a glimpse of even one, 
your life will never be the same.  
I believe the great and famous Albert Einstein himself was a Seeker of Dragons, for he was the one who said:
 "Imagination is more important than knowledge. 
 For knowledge is limited to all that we now know and understand,
 while imagination embraces the entire world,
 and all there ever will be to know and understand."
     To all my dear friends I have met~and to those I have yet to meet, 
"The miracle of what seems to be hidden from 
view is most often right in front of us." 
Remember to always keep your eyes and hearts open, 
you will be blessed!  
I Believe in Dragons, and I know they Believe in me too.
In Magical Beauty,
~Raven