Saturday, November 27, 2010

No Place Like Home

     I look around my home and I am surrounded by stuff.  Too much I think.  How did I get to this point where I feel lost amongst my possessions.  I am no stranger to organizing and simplifying, at one time I did this for a living.  Its a personal gift of mine, I can walk into any given chaos and bring serenity to every room.  Living here in my lovely little house with 3 children, you would think I would have it all in control.  I do, sort of.  
     Many of the things we have too much of are toys with sentimental value.  My children hold on, fearing by letting go, they are giving up a part of themselves.  We are all this way to some extent, even myself.  I wonder why we attach so much importance to our things, when our memories live in our hearts and spirits, and not so much in the closets.  
     I sometimes play a game in my mind.  Imagine if we were under alert, and had to leave our homes in one hour or less, besides my children what would I take.  I remember as a little girl in California, fearing a sudden earthquake, packing my little red suitcase with my favorite dolls, and play things.  In moments of survival one realizes what is truly important.  Depending on the situation, I might have to choose a flashlight verses my bells from Tibet, or a jug of water over my favorite lithograph.  The worse feeling is when you let something go, and it almost feels like you're missing a close friend.   
     Consider  how devastating for the unfortunate people who lose everything in a natural disaster.  I have known a few.  Of course the loss of human life is a tragedy, and not even comparable.  What about your photos and historical mementos passed on through generations of family.
Some things are truly precious and irreplaceable.  
     I have always believed how you live in your home is a direct reflection of your state of mind,  contributing to your emotional health.  No wonder I have been feeling overwhelmed, crowded in, and slightly dusty.  Think about the amount of time and energy we spend, moving, cleaning, digging thru, bumping into, picking up, fixing....not even counting the using....of all our belongings.  Do we truly
 need to live this way, I don't think so.  
    I have known people who are minimalists, which for me would be the exact opposite of my decorating style.  Like the birds of the forest, I enjoy feathering my nest.  Being cozy, with a few or possibly too many added luxuries, is what brings me comfort.  Pillows, candles, blankets, and more of the same, helps me to be serene in the chaos of my mind.  Everyone has their own personal style and functional needs when it comes to living comfortably in their homes.  Whether we live in a cabin, a castle, a mansion or cave, being able to rejuvenate ourselves is a necessity we all can afford.  Turning our shelters into a sanctuary from the outside world, by letting go of the clutter and over abundance surrounding us, will make for a healthier life.  I for one am ready to begin the long and emotional process of reevaluating all the belongings which encircles my family and defines our days.  Releasing what no longer brings us comfort or joy is a gift for all, not only serving us well in our homes, but in the turmoil and messiness which can be part of our world.   A fresh beginning, I have learned, can be had at any time.  Starting within the mental jumble of my mind, I can sort and tidy up, creating a calm interior.  Moving outwardly I can apply the same concept, bringing much needed space and serenity into our living area, and then out into the world which we all share.
"Clean up your Room", can be a new motto for recycling and picking up litter on our planet.
Learning from the birds, I will continue to feather my nest, keeping it comfortable and full of warmth,  maybe with fewer decorations and keepsakes.  The less minutes we spend on our personal effects, will allow us the more hours needed to create beautiful memories, which unlike our treasured objects, do last forever, and can be taken with us.