Monday, October 18, 2010

To Mow or Not to Mow

     One of my biggest fears after learning I was soon to be single was...."How am I going to mow the lawn?"  Crazy I know, but there it is.  I had been a stay at home mama for almost 9 years.  I was great at taking care of the children and everything within the household, cooking, cleaning, organizing, homeschooling, I was very busy.  The lawn however was an uncharted land, an endless sea of green, vast and foreign.  This unfamiliar responsibility loomed huge before me on my already large list.  Little did I know that shoveling the driveway would be even worse. Not to mention my new chore of stacking several cords of wood and transferring 3 tons of 40 lb bags of wood pellets from my front yard, through my house down to my basement and back up the stairs one exhausting bag at a time.  It turns out mowing the lawn was the easy part!
     My first snow storm by myself was a huge blizzard.  Boldly I floundered out to my immense driveway with my little children in tow, each armed with our shovels and positive vibrations.  I am not sure when it hit me, possibly into the 2nd hour or so... that I was getting nowhere.  Standing there buried up to my knees in the deep compact snow I realized I had accomplished nothing more then a mere dent towards getting my car out.  In my estimation I had another 5 hours of hard grueling labor ahead of me.  Glaring at my neighbors across the street with their hardy teenagers and 2 snowplows I began ranting and raving to my icy children about how able people should help poor single defenseless women and freezing children in distress.  I then burst into tears, totally overwhelmed with everything.   My life felt like a blizzard gone mad.  My neighbors couldn't hear me over the roar of their machines, but I think my distress was obvious because they soon came driving to the rescue in their mini plows and saved the day.  I barely restrained myself from groveling at their feet in gratitude, it was bad enough I stood there and cried the whole time.  Now I know better.  I don't wait until the end of a blizzard to start my clean up, I go out several times during a storm, and thinking ahead I move my car to the bottom of the driveway, making my life a lot easier.   My children are also much bigger and able to help more, making a huge difference with all we have to do.  Thank goodness I have a generous and kind friend who will never say no to the chance of helping us whatever way he can.  My children and I have grown up a lot over these last 4 winters, especially myself.  I am amazed at my physical accomplishments, and I no longer cry when I shovel the driveway.  In fact last year I actually felt a sort of peace with the beauty of standing outside under the sparkly icy night sky, shovel in my hand.  I have become a new kind of warrior,  I feel good being able to take care of the inside and outside of my house.  Stacking wood is a lesson in meditation and I find it quite relaxing.  I love the feeling of looking out over my expanse of wood piles knowing we will be warm for the winter.   Mowing the lawn is still not my favorite, however once done I can enjoy the nice view off my deck looking out over the lake.  Life is good and I am grateful to have a home to take care of in any season.  This California woman is no longer afraid of mowers, freezing temperatures or winter storms.  My next task is to make friends with my nemesis the generator, all those cords, buttons and thingies are a little intimidating.....Help!