Friday, October 29, 2010

On The Bright Side

     Its true, I am a person who walks thru life with a cheerful optimistic hopefulness.  I admit it, I am a wearer of rose colored glasses.  How I came to be this way I am not sure, it could be my basic nature, something in my genetics, where the planets were at the time of my birth, maybe its the food I eat, who knows.  One thing is certain, there is no use denying....I am what I am. 
 I think Popeye has a similar saying, although his with a bit more of a vegetarian flair. 
      I must confess, I am not always this way.  There are often times when I feel downright jaded, cynical, contrary, and accept it or not, even hostile.  I can't always be sweet and sunshine.  Most of what I write about has evolved as a direct result of my 'reaping from what I had foolishly sown' at one point or another in my life.  The truth is, I am a positive thinker because of all the negative experiences I have had.  Choosing to see things in a cheerful and optimistic way, I believe, brings more of the same good energy into my life. 
 Like calls to Like is my reasoning. 
     Sometimes, when I may not be in the best emotional place, I reread my blogs and wonder to myself... who is this person with these, "Be Positive, Think Happy, Love Everybody, Peace and Joy views.  I almost sound like a lost flower child from the 60's, although come to think of it, I was born in that decade, so maybe it did all start then.  To be honest, I spent most of my young life, shy, insecure, sad and alone.  I certainly didn't feel so cheerful.  The person I am now is altogether different.  I guess when I write, I am sharing my ultimate ideals, and yes, though I do try to live them everyday, the results are not always the same. 
     My good friend who has known me since I was a young 15 year old, was recently laughing at me while I was complaining to her about something I had just experienced.  Not only that, she actually started quoting to me from one of my own blogs, the one called, "Its not what you think." In it I spoke about the false expectation we place on others, and how I am so much happier living from a place of suspended anticipation. I assure you, I meant everything I said when I wrote it, and spent a considerable amount of time thinking and writing that particular one, yet she was right.  Obviously even I am having a hard time living up to my own professed standards and principles.  Though I write with the utmost sincerity, in the actual heat of the moment its not always easy to remember what it is I exactly believe, or even whether I want to follow my own advice.  I think for most people we have a certain processing system we function from, though we may stray here and there, basically our M.O. is the same.  Like Popeye, we all own our individual flair that we apply to most situations.  I may sometimes wander off my rainbow bright path now and again, but for me its where I feel safe, and back I go.   I guess my point is that no matter how unfavorable I may think, or how obstinate and gloomy I may behave at times, its undeniably certain that sooner or later I will be forced to slip my glasses back on so I can once again return to my rosy dream colored world of optimistic brightness. 
      Look on the bright side, unless I take them off sometimes,  how will I ever know when I have them on?